Friday, April 18, 2008

We're back!

Well it's official, Levi and I have been married for over a year! I still can't believe it and not sure I ever will. We had an amazing time in DC. We got to our hotel around 3:00 in the afternoon on Monday; went upstairs to our room to change our shoes and off we went. Our major mode of transportation was the Metro system, which we got pretty good at using. We ended up going to the National Archives museum and out for our anniversary dinner. At the museum we got to see (among other things) the Declaration of Independence, The US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Emancipation Proclamation (which was still very legible) and the "Two if by Sea" letter. (I now have seen the letter and the bell they rang in Boston.) Below is the Declaration of Independence. Tuesday we got up early to hop on the Metro to get to Union Station for our bus tour. I am SO glad we decided to go on this particular 9.5 hour long bus tour. It enabled us to see so many things that we probably wouldn't have on our own. We went to Mt. Vernon, Lincoln Monument, Korean and Marine Corps (Iwo Jima) Memorials, Arlington Cemetery to see the Tomb of the Unknown soldier and Changing of the Guard and the Kennedy gravesites. From the bus we got to see lots of buildings that we normally wouldn't have. We saw the boyhood home of Robert E. Lee, the church George Washington would frequently attend and some other interesting houses in Old Town Alexandria. We drove right by The Pentagon, The Capitol, and The White House. Also, when we stopped at the Lincoln Memorial, we just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see the Presidential Motorcade drive by. We are pretty sure it was escorting The Pope back to the White House. Below is Levi and I with Abe, The White House and Levi touching the top of The Capitol.
When our tour was over we got had the chance to see The Mall area at sunset. It was SO pretty (and the weather was GREAT all weekend.) We walked down to the Washington Monument and then over to the WWII memorial. I took WAY too many pictures of the Washington Monument in 3 days but you can see it every time you turn around and for some reason I just find it visually interesting. Here is my favorite...Thursday was Museum day. We ended up going to the Bureau of Engraving, The Holocaust Museum, The Air and Space Museum and The Museum of Natural History. (No, we didn't make it to the Spy Museum for two reasons...one, it wasn't free, and two, after four other museums we were pooped!) We were both disappointed in The Holocaust Museum but the others were great! Below is Levi standing by 1 million dollars in $10 bills, The Hope Diamond, and me getting eaten by a bazillion year old dinosaur.


We missed the Cherry Blossoms by about a week. We saw a few but most of them were dead, or on their way to death. Although, as you see in the first picture below, they still look pretty on their death beds. Even though we missed the cherry blossoms, there was no shortage of other flowers, especially tulips. They were everywhere! We found one very interesting one...the second picture down....it was EXACTLY half red and half yellow. I even touched it to make sure it was real. And the last picture was taken at Mt. Vernon. I just really like it.



So, if you are actually still reading, thanks for coming along on my trip down memory lane. Love you all!!!



1 comments:

Diane said...

Sounds like you guys had a MARVELOUS trip! I'm so glad you got to go. And your pictures are fabulous!
(I can't believe it's been a year, either!)